Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Twice-Baked Alfredo Potatoes (with Vegan Alfredo)



Hello Beautiful People,

It was hard to find something to cook for you lovely people this week.  Not because I'm out of ideas, but because I've had some stomach issues this week and my diet was seriously limited.

When you take out gluten, meat, dairy, and anything that may be difficult to digest, you come up against a big challenge.  However, I believe obstacles can breed creativity if you have the right attitude. 

When my stomach is bothering me a lot, my go-to food is definitely potatoes. A good potato not only give my stomach something easy to process, it's also very comforting.  It's a good, down-home food.

So, with that in mind, I created the Twice-Baked Alfredo Potatoes.

Ingredients
6 Medium sized Russet Potatoes
1 Jar Vegan Alfredo Sauce
1/2 Sweet Onion
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Handful of Baby Portabella Mushrooms
Pinch of Lemon Pepper Seasoning

Step 1: Prep the Potatoes
Preheat the over to 350 degrees 

Thoroughly rinse all potatoes!
 (Eating dirty food won't help your tummy!)

Cover each potato in olive oil

Then (carefully) slice 3 - 4 holes into each potato!
This is important! If you don't do this, you potatoes will explode. Really.


Do NOT cover with foil.  Covering the potatoes with foil will not allow the skin to get crispy.

Step 2: Bake Potatoes

Place the potatoes on a pan and wipe of any excess oil on the pan

Bake the potatoes for about 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy on the outside and very soft in the middle.

And while those are baking....

Step 3: Simmer the Sauce

Turn your burner to a medium heat and put your favorite frying pan on it.

Chop up your mushrooms and onion and finely or coarsely as you want.


Then add the veggies, a pinch of lemon pepper, and 3/4 of the Alfredo sauce to the pan.

Let it slowly simmer so that the flavors begin to mix.


(It's making me hungry just thinking about this!)

Step 4: Gut the Taters

When the potatoes are done, cut them in half long-ways
(or "hotdog style" as my first grade teacher called it.)

Then, use a spoon to take the "guts" of the potatoes out of the skins and into a large mixing bowl.

The skins will look like this:




Keep the skins; you will need them later.
 
Step 4: Mix It Up
Add your simmered Alfredo sauce to your large mixing bowl

Use an electric mixer or a whisk to whip the potatoes and sauce
Once you've whipped the ingredients into a creamy bowl of delicious goodness, scoop it back into the potato skins.




Step 5: Bake Again
Set your oven to broil
Bake your potatoes for about 10 minutes, or until they are golden-brown on top




My stomach must be better this week, because it's growling as I look at that picture.

 So, here's my question to you:

What do you eat when you don't feel well?

Please feel free to leave a comment down below, and suggest what you would like to me to make next week.

Also, feel free to ask any questions you may have about eating gluten free! I am all too happy to help and offer my advice.


With gratitude,

Keeka

2 comments:

  1. And potatoes are loaded with potassium and other nutrients. This looks delicious. I am seriously going to try this recipe.

    My go to food when I am ill iis bread pudding. I'm sure you could make that into a health(ier) food...even gluten free. How's that for a challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes when you try it!

      Ooooh, I like that challenge!

      Delete

Feel free to tell me what you think!