Monday, August 12, 2013

Gluten Free Texas Tostadas

Earlier this year, my fiance (Honey) and I moved from West Texas to Northern California. Most of the time, I just love NorCal, but this week I got a little homesick. It happens.

I love pretty much everything about California, but miss just a few things from the homestead:
  1. Family and friends. This goes without saying, but it's what I miss most.
  2. Thunderstorms! There's nothing like a heavy Texas thunder storm. 
  3. Tex-mex food! Sure, there is Mexican food in NorCal, but it simply doesn't compare.
So, since I can't move my family out here and I don't have the power to control the weather, I thought maybe a taste of good Tex-mex style food would cure the homesickness.

So, I made some tostadas! For those who don't know, tostadas are basically flattened tacos with crispy shells. And because this is SKAW cook, I made gluten-free and vegan shells and piled on the veggies! Let's get started.

Texas Tostadas - Makes 12 - 15

Shell Ingredients:

3 Cups gluten-free all purpose flour 
1 Cup warm water
6 Heaping tablespoons Coconut Oil (solid)
1 Tablespoon baking soda
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste

Step 1: Mix It Up
Place all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir
Then, add warm water, coconut oil and lime
Get your hands dirty and mix with them

Step 2: Refrigerate
Wrap the dough in foil or shrink wrap
Let the dough sit in the refrigerator for 45 minutes
This is a good time to start chopping your veggies

Step 3: Roll 'em Out
Flour your counter and rolling pin
Roll the dough into tortilla-sized pieces

I rolled my as thin as I could get them. However, you should feel free to make yours as thick or thin as you desire.

Cut around the edges to make a circle.  I used the top of my coconut oil jar as a cookie cutter and it made perfect little circles.
 (If you have a tortilla press, use it! I don't have one...yet.)

Step 4: Fry...in a healthy way
Set your burner to a very high heat (8 out of 9)
Make sure your pan is nice and hot before putting any shells in it
Coat The pan in plenty of your favorite cooking oil
(I used coconut oil on some and olive oil on others. They all turned out equally yummy)
Toast each shell for 1 - 2 minutes on one side
Flip and toast for another minute
(You'll know they are done when each side is is golden-brown)

Now it's time for toppings...

Toppings:
1 Can of black beans 
2 Bell Peppers (any color)
1 Onion
2 Ears of corn
1 Bunch of cilantro
3 Small avocados
2 Handfuls of shredded lettuce
Juice of 1 lime


Toppings Step 1: Mash the Beans
Put the black beans in a small sauce pan and heat
Mash with a fork until it has a spreadable consistency

Toppings Step 2: Turn Up the Heat
Place the cilantro, peppers, onion and corn into a pan with the burner on medium-high
Stir occasionally until everything is hot enough for your liking

Toppings Step 3: Pile On the Goodies
Spread black beans on tostada shells
Add avocado slices
Add lettuce
Then add heated veggies

Also, if you dare, add some of Honey's Roasted Pepper Salsa, which I have posted the recipe for.


Ahhhh, a little piece of home.

I hope you try, enjoy and share this recipe!

As always, please let me know what you think! You can leave a comment or email me at skawcook@gmail.com.

With gratitude,

Keeka

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me what you think!